Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A few Ethanisms

Just a quick note...

Dylan is just getting his first tooth...teeth, that is. He's got 2 just about to break through on the bottom. Poor dude. Although he doesn't seem to mind. He's been drooling for months, but Owen's been the cranky one during the night...I would have expected him first. Maybe it's Dylan drive for REAL food that prompted this!

So, there's all sorts of Ethanisms all the time now. Too many to write down. We write them down when we remember, but I may just give up pretty soon here...

A few nights ago we were having dinner and two of our neighbors walked by....neighbors who we didn't know. They were walking by and Ethan asked, "Who are those people walking?"...I said, "Those are our neighbors"...he asked their names and I said I didn't know. So, he said, "We should name them 'Sayso' and 'Gogo'" Well, that just about made me pee my pants. It sounds remarkably like things that Mommy says.

One morning, Ethan was laying in bed with us while we fed the babies. Andy took Dylan and Owen downstairs and it was just me and E....he said, "Now I'm going to go downstairs and say 'Woo hoo!'" Then he proceeded to tell Gramma when she came over, Liz when she came over, and several other people over the phone. When he gets a laugh after saying something he knows he's got a winner and sticks with it!

I was telling Ethan about something (can't remember what) and then told him to go tell Gramma what he learned. He ran across the room and said, "Gramma, I've landed"

Liz asked Ethan if he had to go to the potty and he said no. She asked, "Are you sure?" and he replied, "No, I am not sure about that"...we are asking him if he's sure about a lot of things, and he typically replies that he is NOT sure, so I'm not sure that he knows what that word is all about!

Gramma took the boys to her house one day and thought she'd try getting Ethan to nap there. After an unsuccessful attempt at sleeping in his bed there, Gramma asked, "Ethan, could you take a nap on the couch?" and Ethan said, "I wish I could, but I can't" What sass.

One of Ethan's newest words is "interested"...Recently he left a message on our neighbor's voice mail (after Daddy dialed) asking his babysitter if she would be interested in babysitting him tomorrow night. Another time, he stated, "Gramma Leslie, Owen and Dylan are very interested by the music in this movie" (it was Fantasia)...he is such a hoot.

Ethan can get dressed mostly on his own, but sometimes has a little trouble with the pants. After putting on clean shorts in the bathroom, he said to Gramma, "We've got issues"...she looked down and he had both lefts in one pantleg and couldn't move.

So, that's what I've got for now...all this talking, these words, these SENTENCES...he's just so wonderful at communicating (most of the time...he's still 2!)...but the one that gets me the most is the little grin and hug he gives me while saying, "Ooooooh, Mommy" That's all I need.

2 comments:

Hua said...

It's so interesting to hear how kids develop their communication skills!
-Hua

Louvuhl M said...

Thanks for sharing dear E's darling 'isms. Fun! I know the teething thing isn't all that fun for parents (no sleep, no sleep!) but what fun it'll be to see Dylan's brilliant smile (already so endearing) with teeth!