Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Boombabba boombabba boombabba

A here, trying to fill in for my highly talented wife.

Of the movies of my youth, certain ones and particularly specific scenes stick with me. Stand By Me was an instant classic as far as I am concerned. Within the great film, we are introduced to young Davie Hogan. For most of us, he is best remembered as "Lardass". I will not go through the whole story, because if you don't already know it you are a lost cause, completely beyond any help I can offer. Why am I talking about this you may be asking? Well, my wolf-pack made me feel like I was at the pie-eating contest recently.



Let's start from the beginning. We had a lil' get together recently to celebrate a birthday in the fam (happy big 1 Linnie-lou). It was a crazy and fun event, and we all went on our merry ways. In a day or two, it all went down the drain, literally. Word quickly spread that people were getting sick in several of the households of the families involved. We speculated that it could have been food poisoning, and the hostess with the mostest went on a quest to document what each person did or did not eat in order to triangulate the culprit. There was even a call to a government agency to report the impending pandemic that would surely ensue.

This is the point where we talk about the little Lardass wannabees. As our trio fell victim one by one like dominoes, we had to comfort them and clean them constantly. As a couple we complement each other well, each possessing separate strengths and weaknesses. Damned if I wasn't the one stuck with the "hold the violently ill child" strength. It became comical at times. I was changing my clothes and showering whenever I wasn't bathing or changing the clothing of a child. The highlight was a maneuver where I was lifting O over something, at which time he proceeded to projectile vomit on top of my head. No free hands to cover up, nor any ability to wipe the remnants of lunch off to prevent the flow down my face. Is this the joy of parenting thing I've heard so much about?

We will spare any actual vomit pics, but this was the general scene. Gramma Nana picked a great day to start her visit!




I actually think I got the better end of this thing somehow. My darling bride was one of the many who were stricken by this thing. She got to spend a full night curled up on the tile floor in one of our bathrooms. I'll take the Lardass treatment, which at least I could cure with a shower and spend my night in a bed.

In the end, we learned that it must have been a contagious bug rather than the suspected food poisoning. Unfortunately it took someone who was not at the event getting the illness to confirm this. Way to take one for the team Liz. I'm sure the vacation was just as much fun with the whole projectile vomit thing added in to all the other sights and sounds of Sin City.

One more Stand by Me quote, just because: "Chopper, sick balls".

2 comments:

Carol-Sutarooni said...

Aren't you glad you put a heated floor in that bathroom? At least Hil didn't have to lie on cold tiles. I am so glad you are all back in the land of the living.

Emma said...

Awesome. How many times do you think we watched "Stand By Me"? It's right up there w/ "Ghostbusters." You and your wife are both great writers!