Saturday, May 16, 2009

Emerging from the haze







It's been a long time. But I'm back.

May has been a little rough. Andy was out of town the first weekend, then incapacitated from "man-surgery" the second weekend...and it's not an exaggeration to say that I've been working around the clock. My laptop has been attached to my hip, and Ethan has asked me several times, "Are you still computering, Mommy?" Oh, the guilt. It ebbs and flows. It's flowing right now.

Thankfully, my parents are in town this weekend. Dylan and Owen are getting baptized tomorrow with their cousin, Linnea Rose. Today I let my parents and Andy run the show this afternoon. I took a nap. The best nap ever. In my bed. It was awesome. I fell asleep around lunchtime, slept until 3, and then Andy brought me lunch in bed. The only bad thing is that I slept through the Twins game. But I was awake by the time we lost. Again.

My Mommy is staying in town this week, my Dad heads back to KY tomorrow evening, and returns next Thursday for the weekend for the Carleton Alumni Rugby game. I'm in Heaven. I've missed them. I will let my Mom cook for us (Dad too...we got "letter pancakes" this morning!), and soak up every hug. I'm not gonna try to be the hero. I'm tired, and my Mommy wants to take care of me, and I will let her. ...and gratefully.

I'm excited for the baptism tomorrow. I think it's so cool that Dylan and Owen are getting baptized with their cousin, Linnea. Her parents are their godparents, and us, hers. That means I'm godmamma to two beautiful little ladies...Linnea Rose and Emily Ann. I could not be prouder. The baptism is at Emma's church, and we met the Pastor earlier this week. I think it's going to be a really nice service. We're having a little reception for our parents and grandparents afterwards. Andy bought Dylan and Owen matching polo shirts to wear tomorrow....I try not to dress them alike too much, but this is cute...and their pants, shoes and jackets (it was COLD today in MN) are different. Come to think of it, what the heck am I going to wear? TBD.

Speaking of baptisms...I've had something on my to-do list....oh, since about March of 2007. I have Ethan's Baptism Certificate, the candle from his baptism, the "program" from the service...for a long time I've wanted to put all these things into a shadow-box frame. Guess when I got this done....tonight. The night before my 2nd and 3rd children get baptized...over 2 years later. On the list of priorities, this was way down there....but it's done now, and I like it. I predict Owen and Dylan will have theirs done by 2014.

Ethan has been saying lots of cute things lately, as usual. They come out so often that I'm really having a hard time documenting them. This one, from last night, made me cry from laughter...as usual, it's much funnier in Ethan speak, but I'll share anyways....I was working at the island, when I went to check on Ethan, who was playing outside on his own (we have a fenced backyard that is only grass, shrubs and a plethora of plastic toys). I peeked outside and he said, "Will you come outside to play with me, Mommy?" Work can wait. I sat outside with him and I felt a raindrop. I pointed to the concrete patio and showed him the wet spots where the rain had fallen. "Oh no, we must go inside. Mommy got a raindrop!" It's the franticness of the way he says "must" that kills me. It's too funny. He's still very charming. Still very TWO...but never fails to make me laugh.

Dylan is producing a lot of drool. Not sure if it's the beginning of teething, or just his salivary glands kicking into high gear. He soaks through his shirts and the bibs that he wears throughout the day to try and keep his shirts dry, and he's got a rash on his chin from all the wetness...I remember this stage with Ethan. Nothing stays dry...I do laundry all the time. Ethan still drools. When does this end?

Dylan and O are so cuddly. Two out of the last three nights Dylan has woken up about a half hour after falling asleep in the evening. I never feel more important than when I pick him up and he instantly stops crying. We sit in the rocker and he melts into my chest. He sighs and catches his breath from crying and falls asleep in my arms. I'm Mommy. I have soothing power. Just a few minutes from any of my 3 little boys and everything is put in perspective. Life is busy, life is stressful, but it's so amazing and fulfilling as well. Ok, I'll lay off the cheese now.

Ethan picked the trifecta in the Preakness today. Remember how I said that he picked "Mine That Bird" for the Derby? If Andy would have bet the way he usually does, we would have won over $1M on a box trifecta. He didn't bet that way. Today, he bet on Ethan's horses...won...probably about $200. It's not $1M, but we'll take it....straight to Babys 'R Us.

2 comments:

LL said...

That's so crazy, a friend and co-worker of mine (and future co-worker of Becky's) just had a baby and named her Linnea Rose. That's not exactly a common name either!

Congrats on getting the shadow box done, no worries that it's 2 years later- Ethan certainly doesn't care :) And good luck on the baptism tomorrow, that's so exciting!

Cecily said...

I'm glad Mom and Dad's visit is allowing you to get a little bit of time to yourself - and some extra sleep! I hope the baptism went well today - I was thinking of you all morning.