Thursday, December 24, 2009

Dreaming of a white Christmas?

A again.

I should not jump to conclusions all the time, but I will assume that most of you reading this are from MN, or have some connection to the tundra at a minimum. If you're like me, you just got in from dealing with almost a foot of new snow, part of an estimated 16-24" dump we are in the middle of. As much as I like the song noted in this title, I don't think Bing Crosby did much manual schlepping of large volumes of snow at the point in his career where he sang that one.

"For my next set, let's start off with 'I'd like to dig a ditch and get blisters'. Hit it boys!"

There are of course silver linings though. Whether it is a bunch of snow to dig out of or a storm that knocks trees down or whatever, our neighborhood is picturesque. It is really what I want our kids to grow up seeing, and I don't think it exists everywhere anymore. If you looked out there today, you would have seen members of several households going from house to house digging out each others' driveways. We don't ask each other, we just do it, because that is what great neighbors do. We all have each others' backs, the Golden Rule in action, and I don't want to live anywhere else.

So much to be thankful for this year. Here are a few:
  • The first Christmas with the five of us at home together
  • The first Christmas for my niece
  • Gainful employment in a tough economy
  • Seeing my buddy Paul alive and well this morning out in the snow
  • Christmas eve with H's family (everyone has printed programs for Xmas Eve, right?)
  • Christmas day tomorrow with mine at our house, and watching E open presents
  • Oh yeah, and of course, Santa Crunch (MN Timberwolves mascot for you non-NBA fans)




Well that's it for me. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night...........

No comments: