Monday, September 21, 2009

They say it's your birthday...







Is there ever a point in time when a Mom stops reflecting about their child's birth on their birthday?! During the past week I have reflected so much on where I was/what I was doing/what he was doing, just 3 years ago. On the 15th...the day I went into labor for the first time; on the 18th...the one and only day of official bedrest (since I worked on day 2 and day 3); on the 20th...the day my water broke and I went into labor again, for real this time; on the 21st...the day my beautiful first son was born and whisked away to the NICU. It was a whirlwind and yet I can remember so much of it (despite the adrenaline and drugs!)

At 5:03 today I happened to notice the clock and I yelped, "It's 5:03, Ethan...it's 5:03!!!" And he looked at me like I was nuts. I explained that at this very minute, 3 years ago, he was born. It was official, he was now exactly 3 years old! Yeah, yeah, Mom...let's go have another cupcake.

Ethan is such a big boy. He started preschool this past Thursday after we found out that the nearby church accepts kids at 33 months by Sept 1st if they are potty-trained. I had been thinking that he'd have to be 3 by Sept 1st, but one of his ECFE friends' moms told Gramma Leslie that wasn't the case...and lucky for us, the preschool had a spot open. He is so ready and loved his first day. I was working from home last Thursday and so I got to take him in for his first day. Class is Tuesday and Thursday from 9-11:30. 2.5 hours felt like a long time...to me. He seems to really like it!! They are going to celebrate his birthday tomorrow so he had a "homework" assignment....a worksheet to fill out all about Ethan. He helped me with all the questions and I printed/cut/pasted the pictures. We're quite proud! He also gets to bring two items in the "sharing bag" that was sent home with him last Thursday. He'll be able to talk about his items to the class and tell them why they are important to him. Parents are invited. I'm hoping he won't be too shy. We've practiced. Tomorrow is also picture day!! It's so real...this is "real" school....homework, picture day...my baby is growing up!

If Mommy doesn't plan a party, there will be no party...note to self for next year (or...note to Daddy! :> hint, hint, wink). So this year's celebration was small in group size...me, Daddy and Ethan...but we had a great time! Last night we went to the Mall of America and went on a few rides. Then we got dinner at Ethan's requested restaurant..."the place where Gramma Leslie gets soup bread"...which happens to be Tucchi Bennuch, so that works great for us too! Then we headed home and opened some presents. Ethan and I had made cupcakes earlier in the day, and Daddy decorated some of them with green frosting and "big red balls" like Ethan had requested. We sang "Happy Birthday" and Ethan ate the frosting off his cupcake. My cousin, Teresa, had been babysitting Dylan and Owen while we were out so she had cupcakes and sang with us and we had a little mini party. It was fun!

This morning the birthday boy had more presents to open. Mommy went to work and didn't cry all day...Go Mommy! Mommy did cry around 5:03 though...Ethan was already looking at me like I was crazy, and so I just let the tears out....whatever. I'm starting to embrace the fact that I'm sounding more and more like my own parents. I used to roll my eyes when they'd talk about time going by so fast and me and my sister growing up. You know what?!...it's so true! As Dylan and Owen are developing and doing more and more "kid" things...I remember so much of Ethan at that time...and it was so long ago, and just like yesterday at the same time, and I just try to remind myself to hang on to every minute...minutes with them that I just don't have enough of. And now I'm sad.

Happy Birthday to the not-so-little-anymore amazing boy that made me a Mommy!!

6 comments:

Michelle Leigh said...

Ahhh, Happy birthday to Ethan! I'm glad to hear school went well! You got me all choked up with this post. I definitely feel all crazy and emotional on birthdays. It comes with the territory and YES, it does go too fast!

Louvuhl M said...

I think Gramma Leslie will agree that there are NO birthdays of a mother's children that she doesn't remember most (if not all) of the details of her child's birth day. SOOOOO special!

As for grandmother's memories, I remember hanging out with Leslie (and Emma and Cecily too) at the hospital and the nurse bringing newly-born Ethan out of his birthing room for us to see before he was whisked off to the NICU for care. The memory still overwhelms me as does the opportunity to be one of the first to see him in the NICU. So much love for Ethan!

jenny said...

happy birthday ethan! time does fly by so fast. it's crazy to think how little they were and how fast they grow up. sounds like he had the perfect little birthday!

that's so exciting that he's in preschool!

the old man down the road said...

Happy Birthday Mom, it's Ethan's birthday, but will always be your birth day.

This post makes me think mom's should get as much attention as kids on these days!

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Happy Birthday to Ethan, and Happy Birthing Day to you, Momma! I am glad to hear that he is enjoying preschool.

Cecily said...

Happy Birthday Ethan! Sounds like you had a great celebration. Yay for cupcakes with big red balls :)

It's hard to believe it's been three years since E entered our lives!

Miss you.