Monday, September 28, 2009

Ethan: belated 3-year check-up update


Love that green frosting on the birthday cupcakes!

Enough about me...back to the kids!

Ethan had his 3-year check-up last Thursday. Just as I'm writing this, I'm realizing that I don't have any percentiles to post...oh no! Maybe at this point, they don't check kids on the percentile chart...who knows. They were never given, and I forgot to ask. But, he's tall. Tall, tall, tall. Lots of people assumed he was turning 4 at his last birthday.

39 3/4 inches and 34.8 lbs. They no longer measure head circumference...bummer...that's always a fun one for the Sandberg kids and their big heads. Dr Paul did said that after a certain point in development, they expect BMI to go down, and his is. Not like I was worried or anything...Ethan is a healthy boy, but he is a bean-pole...tall and lean!

There wasn't much to the appointment. However, it was noteworthy to me, just the difference between taking Ethan to the pediatrician last week, and taking Dylan and Owen with Liz the week before. With Ethan, I snatched him up early from preschool and we headed to the clinic. No diaper bag (though I probably could have had the foresight to bring a snack!), no stroller, no planning around a nap or meal...a fantastic difference. I need to reiterate that I am NEVER wishing away these baby days, but some things get easier over time.

When we were called in, I talked to the Nurse while Ethan went with another Nurse to get his hearing and eyesight tested. Ethan was unsure about going with the other Nurse at first which reminded me that I need to be a better Mommy and have the "don't go with strangers" talk...Ethan is so capable of communicating and understanding, that I/we really should have had this talk with him awhile ago. Anyways, I assured him that he would be brought right back to me after a short trip with the Nurse, and he was. He got undressed and into a robe (that was new!) and then Dr Paul came in to talk with us.

I think I might have pushed him over the edge with my "What do you think about the Flu?" questions, but hey, I have a right to ask. Children's Clinic is like the only place on Earth that doesn't have the seasonal flu shot available yet. I'm so annoyed. If any place should get them, it should be the freakin' hospital for kids! But he told me that they don't have as much buying power as say Walgreens or Cub, and that makes me sad.

Ethan was shy during the exam, so when Dr Paul asked me if he could talk in sentences I tried my best to explain just how off the charts he is...but you know, every Mom thinks their kid is amazing.

Since they didn't have the flu shot, he only had one shot to get. He had to lay down on the table and we held hands...the Nurse didn't say when she was going to give him the shot and so he was surprised. He cried, hard, and gave me a look like I had betrayed him before he threw himself into my arms for a hug. He kinda milked it by limping around on our way out of the exam room...but it worked, I'm a softy. Now he talks about the shot like it was no big deal..."Just like a little pinch" he says.

Each visit comes with the pamphlet of what your child might be doing at this age. Let's recap:

Nutrition:
  • Your 3-year-old can sit nicely at the table. Yes, but only when someone else ISN'T trying to talk.
  • Eating and drinking aren't quite the mess they used to be. No, but just tonight Ethan stuck his hands in his milk glass...why? Just to see what would happen.
  • You may also find your child prefers the same foods day after day. After day after day after day. Peanut butter and jelly (both grape and strawberry!) in "triambles" for breakfast, lunch and dinner...if we'd let him
Toileting:
  • Around age 3, children may be able to tell you when they need to go to the bathroom. Ethan has been able to tell us since early Summer...but now he takes it to a whole new level of telling us..."no pee or poop is coming out of my pee-pee or butt"...I'm sure that his preschool teachers don't find this very amusing. We're working on when "bathroom talk" is not appropriate. Work in progress.
Sleeping:
  • Toddlers are usually sleeping 10 to 12 hours at night. Yea! Ethan is very good about sleeping at night. Every so often he'll come into our bed in the middle of the night claiming bad dreams...we remind him most nights at bedtime that he should stay in his own bed until morning-time, but really, I don't mind the snuggles.
  • Many 3 year olds stop napping in the afternoon. Sweet Jebus, NO!!! Daddy, Gramma Leslie, and Liz would join me in this protest. Granted, some days his nap is very short...like an hour. But you can tell that naptime was short for the rest of the day. He NEEDS it. It's not a battle anymore, he doesn't protest it...let's let this happen for awhile longer!
Growth & Development:
At 3 years, children may:
  • ride a tricycle
  • draw shapes and use crayons
  • be curious about body parts
  • know their full name and age
  • have imaginary friends
  • use sentences
  • learn to use pronouns
  • brush their teeth
  • have more bladder control
  • follow instructions and make a game out of daily routines and tasks
  • be ready for preschool
Looks like we're right on track...and then some!

He never fails to amaze me, this one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah for a good appointment! I am always amazed when I go somewhere with just Cooper . . . he is a wanderer and is always so excited, but with just one kid, it is managable.

Liz said...

oh my gosh if they tell you to get rid of naps I quit!! lol j/k but seriously he does NEED naps!