Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ethanisms

Oh, I try so hard to keep a straight face, but this kid is seriously funny...but I don't think he's trying to be!

"My Uncle Marty...you know him? Well, I'm going to make him a Valentine because I haven't sent him one yet"

This is especially funny because Uncle Marty is my Uncle, but that's cool...Ethan's memory is incredible. He has seen Marty, who lives in AZ, a few times...and still remembers exactly which cars he brought Ethan as a gift. As far as the Valentine...well, it's February 24th, so maybe we'll just send an Ethan original drawing instead. Hi, Marty!!

"Emma realized something. She realized that she had a green St Olaf cup"

Seriously, do 3-year-olds use the word "realized"?? The "St Olaf cup" is really a small Nalgene bottle with a sippy top. Ethan has one that has "St Olaf College" on the side. The other day, I was at Target and picked him up a Nalgene that looks pretty much like it, and now he calls it his "New St Olaf cup" even though it doesn't have "St Olaf College" on it anywhere. He went on to say that he needed 4 blue St Olaf cups and that next time I go to Target I should get more and it would fill up many bags. And then he told me that there were red, green, and pink St Olaf cups, be he only wanted blue. He was so serious while telling me all of this...it was hard to act like I was taking him seriously, so I just had to crack up afterward.

A few nights ago, I was laying with Ethan in his bed at bedtime and we were discussing our Springtime plans (Ethan says often, "I'm sick of Winter and snow!" Amen!) and he was listing off the things he thought we should plant in our garden (we're going to make a better effort this year!)...apparently, amongst our tomatoes, carrots, and peas he wants to plant bananas. I think he understood why we still had to buy bananas at the store, but it sure would be fun if we could grow bananas in our backyard!

Whenever we are telling/asking Ethan to do something, we usually make sure he's heard us by asking him if he understands....recently I asked him, "Do you understand what I'm saying?" and he replied, "I understand, but I don't know what you are saying" So funny.

I can't believe that's all I have written down for Ethan gems. He is so funny and is constantly making us laugh, and pull our hair out at the same time. Three is such an interesting age. He's so smart and trying so hard to figure out the World, and we're trying really hard to help him do it.

I love this picture...he's all wound up playing football with his brothers and he has those crazy eyes!!!

1 comment:

Louvuhl M said...

I love the picture you posted as well. So cute!!!! It's now my latest computer desktop photo. If little D were in the background like dear O is (all 3 dear grandchildren would be in the picture) it'd be a photo I'd have on my desktop for a LONG time. Maybe we could photoshop D into it? :> Can't wait to hug all of 'em (and you too!) in less than 2 weeks! M