Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We went to the Ped today and survived!!



Pic 1: Owen, Dylan
Pic 2: Owen, Mommy, Dylan, Ethan

I should be sleeping, but I have too many blog-thoughts running through my head.

Today was Dylan and Owen's second time out of the house since they've been home...another exciting trip to the pediatrician. Their 2-month well-baby check, already!! I started planning this trip in my head last night...what do I need to pack, when do I need to shower by, when do I need to start warming up the car, how many trips will I need to load up the car, when do I need to leave, how do I work the double-stroller? Thankfully, Gamma Leslie was here to help so I had time to shower and dry my hair and also time in the garage with the stroller manual to figure out how to heck to open the thing, click in and out the car seats, and fold it up again...phew. Ethan and Gamma were leaving for school at the same time I was leaving the house for the 10:15 appointment so I had lots of help with loading D & O in their seats and getting the house locked up, etc.

Andy met me in the parking lot at Children's. We had no trouble with the stroller and were ON TIME for our appointment. We were called in right away and the twins were weighed and measured by the nurse. Dylan is 11lbs 7oz...I don't know his exact percentiles for weight and height...I was writing them down, but our dr assured us the nurses would bring us that information but nobody ever did and I left forgetting to ask for it...ugh. But I believe it was somewhere around 25-40th percentile. This is for their age UNadjusted...meaning 9-10 weeks. When it is adjusted for their prematurity (3-4 weeks) they would be much higher in the percentiles. D's head was like 25th too. Owen is 9lbs 8oz and slightly shorter. His head is about the same circumference and percentile. His percentiles for weight and height are 10th. So, both boys are very proportional. And the doctor was very happy with their growth rates and said they are THRIVING!! They have each gained about a lb since their last weigh-in at the Synagis shot a few weeks ago. Yay!

I asked about a thousand questions about the million vaccinations they were to receive today. I am all for vaccinations, but since there is so much controversy about them, I wanted to hear the doctor's rebuttal to the articles I have read in parenting magazines with the other side. I had some other questions too...it's amazing how much you forget after 2 years...we've been through all these things with Ethan, but I needed a reminder!! Maybe it was the sleep deprivation then, or the sleep deprivation now, but my brain is mush and I just can't recall what we did and when.

Our Dr and his partner are expecting twin boys through a surrogate this Spring so he was asking US questions about raising twins. He was assured that we were 2 months in and still smiling!! At least he knows everything medically, the rest you just figure out as you go...but it was fun to exchange ideas with him about feeding schedules, sleep schedules, etc. One thing that we are really excited about...and it was one of my questions...is that he believes that Target brand formula is ok and he is planning on feeding it to his twins. Andy's co-worker uses it and has compared it ingredient to ingredient to Enfamil Lipil, which we are using and which Target says their brand is comparable to. It is half the price so I definitely thought it was worth asking our doctor about. I was skeptical about it, and one of the moms in my multiples support group said she asked her ped and she said no to it, but our ped says ok, so I think we'll try it out and see how it goes. I would never skimp on the quality of our sons' food, but if the ped says it's ok and it's half the price...we'll give it a go!!

The boys are doing ok so far after their shots. They screamed during them and it was way sad...I've never seen Owen's face get so red. But they fell right asleep afterwards and ate well and slept well this afternoon. Their next appointment at the Clinic will be at 4 months.

We had some rough nights on Sunday and Monday. We're trying to work out the schedule of who gets up and when...I was on the losing end of that on Sunday night and had a hard time getting back to sleep. Monday the babies were great, but my busy brain kept me awake most of the night after waking for feedings. Last night was good...Andy got up at 1am and I got up at 5:30. I was feeling ok today...but yesterday I was the biggest moron. I went to the Mall of America with Ethan in the morning for Toddler Tuesday. I went to Caribou for coffee instead of the Starbucks that was in the Barnes and Noble where we were playing with the Thomas table...I had a gift card for Caribou so I went there specifically...but when I paid for my coffee I paid in cash. Then I went to Macy's and used Andy's Macy's card so I could use a coupon I got in the mail, but not only did I fail to spend enough money to use the coupon, but I failed to present the coupon at the time of my purchase as well....duh. I admitted my stupidity on my facebook status stating that I doubt my employer will enjoy having half my brain back to work in a few weeks, but my boss' wife...who is a friend on FB...assures me they will...I wonder what my first dumbass move will be in the office.

Andy bought us a new camera (our V-day gift) at Circuit City since they are having awesome sales as a result of going out of business. I have been complaining about our camera for a long time as it is slow, slow, slow...and I'm missing capturing precious moments!! The new camera is awesome. I need to read the instructions before I get comfortable with using it, but Andy has been playing around with it. Each day he comes home from work, changes clothes, and comes downstairs and puts the new camera around his neck and documents the evening. Gasp...I have actually been in some photos!! I am thrilled...however, I am hoping that over time I will be captured in more flattering poses than at the stove making scrambled eggs.

1 comment:

Louvuhl M said...

Hooray for a good doctor visit day!! Great pictures too - counting down the days until I see all of you! L, M