Monday, February 2, 2009

More updates on my crew of boys...


HIKE!!


Let's start with a little bathroom humor.

Ethan: "I need my butt better."
Hilary: "What's wrong with it?"
Ethan: "It's stinky."

"I have oatmeal in my pants."....Ew. Not sure where he ever came up with that, but as a non-oatmeal eater, I am sure to never start now.

Ok, enough of that. Here's a few more conversations with Ethan...

Lately, a lot of his cars have been going to Northfield when asked where they were headed. Yesterday we were eating lunch and a car drove by our house and Ethan said it was going to Louisville...where Gramma Nana and Grampa Dode live. We talked about flying there in a plane and he seemed really excited...maybe we'll try that sometime this year. A plane trip could be either really good or REALLY bad. We've never done it...out of fear.

Ethan has been practicing batting his eyelashes. It's killer. He'll blink at me really hard when we're sitting at the table. He also will shut his eyes and say, "Now Mommy can't see me"...I corrected him once, that it actually meant he couldn't see Mommy and he FLIPPED out...For now, we'll let him think this makes him invisible...it could be interesting.

I've been thinking it would be fun to make a garden in our backyard this Spring. I asked Ethan what he wanted to plant and he said, "Elmo's sunflower Sunny"...he recently went to Elmo Live with Gamma. So, we'll plant some sunflowers. I need to do a little research on what environment sunflowers grow best in...I am decidedly not a green thumb. I suggested we plant tomatoes and other veggies, but he said "No, just flowers grow"...so a garden of flowers it will be.

*****

Dylan is a bottomless pit. Can you overfeed an infant? Last night, he downed his bottle, which is already more than his brother Owen eats...about 6 ounces. Then he took the rest of Owen's bottle...about 2 ounces was left of his 4.5...he has a cold and his eating hasn't been that great...and he's spitting up too...fun times. Anyways, after that 6 + 2, he still seemed hungry...so I got 2 more ounces for him and he sucked that dry...I'm sure he could have eaten even more, but more than 10 ounces at a feeding seemed a bit extreme to me. I have a guide for what to feed your baby and when, and it suggests a serving size of 3-6oz for 1-2 months, 5-7 times a day. Typically Dylan is eating about 6 and Owen is eating about 4. But 10?!

Ethan has been a bottomless pit lately too. Especially at breakfast...toast, cereal, clementine, bananas, yogurt, vitamin...he typically eats some combination of these items. I believe he might be going through a bit of a growth spurt. He's been a little better with dinner too. We've been using a really cool dinosaur plate that Gramma Nana bought for him...it has a few sections and we put lots of different options of food in them...giving him the choices, combined with the coolness of the plate, has been eliminating some of the battle and helping him eat more variety than applesauce and fruit.

Owen is the saddest thing ever right now. He has a cold, is eating like crap, and spitting up all over the place (I when I say "place", I mean "me"). Just before I started writing this paragraph, I heard some suspicious gurgling from the swing and went to check it out...picked him up and BAM! He waits for me. The poor little thing looks so alarmed when he coughs...his little face turns red and then he sighs. I still can't bring myself to use the snot bulb, but I've been pulling as much gunk out of there as I can. Being a mom is very glamorous, you see.

Even with their colds, Dylan and Owen continue to amaze me when they do tummy time. They lift their heads really high up and are kicking their legs a ton. Owen has some serious stomach muscles and almost lifts his bottom half...he rolls to each side, but not completely over...those arms are just in the way! They both look like they want to crawl already...they are just 8 weeks today so obviously they won't be crawling for awhile, but I believe I have two more freakishly strong boys on my hands...just wait until the 3 boys realize they are all stronger than Mommy...I bet that will happen around age 3 and 5...trouble.

*****

We watched the Superbowl last night and I was unimpressed with the commercials. I was impressed by the game, however, even though I didn't really care who won. I picked the Cardinals ahead of time just to make it fun...Andy was cheering for the Steelers. Ethan likes to shout "Go team go" when sports are on the TV, so we asked him to say "Go red team go" or "Go white team go"...he clearly favored the white team...could it be because daddy was for the white team, or does he just choose the favorite?! Andy picked up some 3D glasses for the movie preview after the first half...I wondered if we had them on at the wrong time...when was it going to start? Is it me, or did that whole thing just suck? Ethan and I had fun looking like geeks wearing the glasses though (see above).

4 comments:

the old man down the road said...

How can there be no comments on this post?

Butt better? Come on people, what's better than that?

Jac said...

Hi, I am a lurker coming out of hiding to say that the boys are sooo cute! I stumbled across your blog while you were pregnant and have kept reading since :).

I also have to ask where you got your couch and what brand is it? In the banner, it looks like a corner couch. I am looking for a new couch and love the color!

Burgh Baby said...

You cheered for the Cardinals?

tsk, tsk.

Denise said...

LOL at Ethan's comment about his bum...too funny!

Secondly...I really hope we can meet one day because our boys sound so much alike. Dylan = Boston...seriously, so funny!