Saturday, January 31, 2009

Thurs appt update and "7-week" picture


An aerial view of our beautiful babies (you can see my feet!). Owen is on the left, Dylan on the right. They were both IN me not too long ago...I can't get over that!! I'm calling this our 7-week picture, but it was actually just taken this morning and they were 7-weeks old last Monday.

I couldn't wait to post the newest weights for Dylan and Owen as of Thursday so I had to post quickly this morning....here are the rest of the updates...

When their nurse comes to visit for the RSV Synagis shots, they get mini-exams...temp, heart rates, weight, lungs checked, etc. Since we've had a bad cold going through our house...ie. Ethan is snotting on everything...it was nice to have D & O checked out as I've been worried that they might be coming down with it. Andy and I have also had some congestion here and there and some scratchy throats, so I was pleased that a nurse was coming to our house so I could ask questions and have my babies looked at.

Temps were good, heart rates were good and almost exactly the same, weight was, as you know, spectacular!, and lungs were clear. She wasn't concerned about their coughing...which isn't severe, but is present...or their congestion...which also isn't severe, but I can hear rattling in Owen especially. Actually, the common cold might be good for them as it builds up some immunity. It's the RSV strain that is dangerous to them, and since they are getting these shots, even the RSV strain probably wouldn't be severe enough to send them to the hospital. All of this is reassuring...regardless, she told us to still be careful about it (as in, I will still be a hand-washing psycho...I recently learned that Purell doesn't kill the flu virus, it might actually thrive on it...so please wash your hands as you enter the house...whether you are planning to hold babies or play with Ethan...we have SpongeBob soap, if that helps :>). Although their due date has passed, their lungs and vessels still aren't up to the development level they'd be at if they'd been born term as babies grow faster in utero versus the "real" world.

Like last month, we were told to keep up the good work! My eyes might sting due to the lack of sleep, but at least those annoying middle-of-the-night feedings are very productive!

Our next pediatrician appointment is at Children's Hospital on the 11th. We just found out last night at a friend's birthday party that one of our friends from college, who works at Children's, knows our pediatrician well. We'll probably get a chance to introduce her to our babies when we are there in a little over a week. Ugh, tomorrow is February already...I've had mixed feelings about January...I'm usually happier when it's over since it feels like the winter is closer to ending than beginning, but this year I'm dreading the beginning of February...I go back to work on March 2!!

1 comment:

Denise said...

I'm glad to hear that everything is good with the little ones! My guys have both had colds as well but so far everything is fine. Oh...and cute pic of them in their Boppy's!