Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tidbits

The thing about my blog posts these days is that I really have no complex or interesting thoughts, just little tidbits and observations...

A new book has entered our Ethan bedtime routine...Where the Wild Things Are. For Ethan's first Christmas, my aunt, uncle, cousins and their significant others gave Ethan their favorite childhood books....Wild Things was my cousin Eric's favorite book. Ethan has recently adopted it as one of his favorites too...which makes me very happy. Let the wild rumpus start!!

*****

Ethan was climbing around on me the other day as I sat on the floor leaning against our couch. He was saying something to me and I wasn't sure I understood him until Gamma said, "You want to get back in?"...yes, that's right, my eldest son was saying he wanted to get back inside of Mommy. I replied that I had worked way to hard to get him out, so no...he can't get back in.

*****

Aunt Cec came over last Thursday. Ethan and Gamma were around for some of the morning until they went out to do an activity. They were just about to leave and were right by the door when Ethan said "Oh!" and ran back across the dining room into the living room where Aunt Cec was to give her a huge hug and goodbye...I just about died it was so cute.

*****

Ethan is super sick...he's coughing and snotting all over the place...it's so sad. I can't keep him quarantined, so I'm hoping he doesn't have a nasty strain that will be bad for the babies. We are obsessively washing our hands in this house...my hands are raw and are so dry they are cracking and bleeding...I put on lotion, but I change so many diapers that the lotion is just washed off with the next washing a few minutes later. I'm trying to teach Ethan to cover his mouth with his hand when he coughs...he forgets to do it when he really coughs, but will fake cough and imitate me when I remind him afterwards...one of these days he'll get it....

*****

Andy bought some new surround speakers for our living room with his fantasy football winnings...he won both his leagues!! It's cool...we play the 800 channels on R&B or Rap and pretend we're cool and hip...'course we have to volume control since we have a toddler and 2 babies in the room...tonight I soothed Owen's crying by swaying around the room to "Shake it like a Salt Shaker" with Lil' Jon...Ethan got down too. Wish I had that one on video.

*****

I am trying to unbury us from the mess I have created in the basement. It has been my dump area for attempting to de-clutter the rest of the house. I have piles of toys down there that need to be bleached or packed away. I have boxes of pictures, cards, letters, things I don't need to keep...and a huge file cabinet that needs to be sorted through. I have spent a few hours down there the past few days and so far am only through the top drawer of the file cabinet (4 drawers!!). A few weeks ago I did bleach the cups and shapes that Ethan uses in his bean table and playdoh table...but I've yet to bleach and refill the actual bean table that our cat pissed in over the Holidays (she might have been stressed with the dog here).

*****

Speaking of the dog, Maddie has a new home. She has been in a loving foster home since August, but Andy decided that he would really prefer she be adopted by people we know better if she was not able to return to our house. Since it was clear during her 2-week return over the Holidays that a permanent return to our home would lead to me and Andy's imminent divorce, Andy sought and found a new home for her. We are pleased that she will be just up the road at our neighbor Paul and Maria's home. They have two children that are older than ours...6 and 11?...so they are much better suited to have a puppy in their home. They also have a tiny dog of some breed that will be a good playmate for Maddie as Lucy has lots of energy!! We've agreed to keep our distance as Maddie makes the transition to new ownership, but we are pleased that she'll be nearby for Ethan to visit and for Andy to possibly hunt with, as Paul hunts as well. Ok, I might even want to visit her on occasion too. This whole puppy thing has been an adventure...a good dog, but an ill-timed addition to our house. I haven't ruled it out entirely...but I think an adult dog at a time when our 3 boys are at least 3 or older would work out much better for all of us.

*****

Yesterday, I spent some baby awake-time playing dress-up. They have lots of 0-3 month clothes and I am trying to get them in all of them. Sleepers are easiest, but are getting repetitive. So yesterday I dressed them in these cute long-sleeved tees that Cec and Chris gave us. They are from Gymborie so of course they are adorable. I paired them with some sweats and mini-socks...in shirts, pants, and socks, they are like "real" boys!!....all dressed up. I had fun...not sure if they shared the sentiment.


*****

Happy Birthday, Mom!! Have fun saying fifty-fiiiiiive!

2 comments:

moo said...

they are TOO CUTE.

And I'm so glad you found a resolution to the puppy thing that you can all live with. How stressful that was!

(and, ironically enough, the word verification wants me to put doght as the word in the box, lol!)

Cecily said...

So fun to see the little guys in the clothing Chris and I got them for Christmas. Very cute!