Friday, January 16, 2009

We needed to do baths anyways...

As I was wrapping up the last post, I heard some curious noises coming from the living room...Dylan was coughing or something, so I ran over to check on him. He was laying in his Boppy pillow so I picked him up and he spit up a little out of the corner of his mouth. He had spit up after his afternoon feeding that day (this was Wednesday) which is really unusual for him...Owen is the spitter (but he's been much better lately) and Gamma Leslie had helped with that feeding and held Dylan up for a long time after his feeding too. Anyways, I picked him up and wiped up the little bit of spit-up and then sat down and as I was getting settled, I felt something wet on my hand...he had spit UP onto my hand. I spazzed a bit because I don't do well with flying bodily fluids and as I stood up, he projectiled all over me, himself, and the couch (thank goodness for slip-covers!). I yelped...Andy was just finishing with putting Ethan to bed so he came down and took Dylan so I could take off my drenched clothes...I really don't do well with this stuff. I've read that parents should remain calm when kids throw up because it's scary to them...I'm going to need to work on that...I'm not that person right now.

We got everything cleaned up and I went to Mr Google to look up "projectile spit up" even though Andy tried to assure me that babies projectile spit up sometimes...which I know they do...it's just that it's unusual for Dylan. So Mr Google convinced me that Dylan has pyloric stenosis and I stressed about that all night. But so far, no more projectile spit-ups.

Wednesday night was a rough one later on too. Dylan was fine...no spitting and slept really well. Owen, on the other hand, was my nemesis. He refused to take full feedings and kept waking up earlier than he should have between feedings and then had a really hard time getting settled after feedings. Despite my better judgement, I brought Owen to Andy during the 2am and 5am feedings because I just couldn't deal with him...he was able to get him to take some more of the bottle at the 2am feeding and then slept with him on his chest after the 5am feeding. I felt like a jerk. Last night went better. We fed them during Grey's Anatomy and then went to bed. Andy fed them around 1am and I fed them around 4:30am. They went back to sleep after each feeding...

We got new bottles the other day...Playtex VentAire...Our theory was that Owen wasn't feeding well because he was getting tired before he was getting full. We'd been using the bottles from the breastfeeding kit...the Medela bottles and nipples...and those nipples are supposed to be similar to breastfeeding so the flow is really slow. The Playtex bottles with the 0-3 month nipples seem to be even slower, but they both seem to do better on them. It takes like twice the time to feed them, but the bottles don't get the vacuum suction or bubbles so they get less gas. They seem to be happier about that. They are also angled so the bottles are more comfortable to hold...and this morning, I was able to double-feed them!! The strategy is to sit in the corner of the sectional with a baby in a Boppy pillow on each side. It works well, unless you have an itch on your nose, which I did.

Ethan and Gamma are off at Sesame Street Live today. Ethan has been so excited...every time he sees the commercial for it, he says "I'm going to see that game with Gamma Leslie"...

I hear that both my babies are awake right now, a rare event...time to exercise on the floor...all of us!!

3 comments:

Michelle Leigh said...

Quit googling stuff ! You will make yourself crazy! Annika projectile vomited until she was like 8 months old. She had reflux and it was no big deal, except for the fact that there was baby barf everywhere. It was awesome! I don't like barf either but yes, you need to stay calm and then they won't freak out.

LL said...

Wow... I really can't imagine two babies but you're making me anyway! I'm not good with the giant spit-ups either, I get dry heaves and stand there heaving and holding an upset, puke covered baby and thinking, "oh my god why did I do this to myself?"

Oh and I love your new header picture- adorable of all three, but especially Ethan!

the old man down the road said...

One of the doctors I see pretty much insisted I quit Googling medical stuff because there's no good way to get it in context, so - I agree with Michelle stop it!