Saturday, June 27, 2009

Ethanisms and bullet points...boring

I can't keep up with the funnies...I might just give up. But I have lots of scraps of paper with Ethanisms so it's time to catch up and document...

"Is this monster cheese?" asking about Muenster cheese. I replied "yes" and gave him a piece and he started dancing..."I'm doing the cheese dance"

"Are you not tall?" to Liz one morning

One evening after Andy got home from work, I tried to escape to go take 2 minutes to myself and lay down and have some quiet. I went upstairs and laid on our bed...Ethan ran after me. "Will you come downstairs with me?" I said, "I'm going to lay here for a second and then I'll come downstairs." He said, "I don't want you to lay here by yourself, that would make me saaaaad"

Ethan's been taking bike rides with Liz in the bike trailer. He likes to go...if she pauses, he yells, "I WANT YOU TO KEEP PED-A-LIIIING!!"

Ethan realizes the healing power of a kiss....when he "bumps" he says "I need to you to kiss it"...and then all is good again.

And there's this one, which makes me laugh so hard I could cry...Gampa Pete and Ethie in the backyard and Grampa says something like "You can't catch me I'm too big" and Ethie says, "You can't catch me....I'm the gingerbread man!"

There are so many funny things that he's saying right now...typing it doesn't do it justice...I promised myself that I would never be one of those moms that tries to imitate her kids when telling someone about them...but it's hard not to!

Other things:

*I've been making baby food...so far, potatoes, broccoli, apples, carrots and bananas. Both the boys liked carrots, and they love the fruit...Dylan puked after eating the potatoes. I expect this to change. Ethan puked the first time I gave him cheese...I was horrified. Potatoes and cheese are two of my favorite foods...my kids must like them! So far I've just tested out small batches, trying to see what works and what doesn't for cooking and storing...once I get comfortable with it, I'm going to do big batch days and hopefully this will save me time in the long run. I racked up quite the bill at Costco the other weekend when I went with Ethan to get all this produce!

*Dylan and Owen have been getting up at ungodly hours. True, I used to feed babies at 3/4am, but now that they sleep through the night I'm not used to seeing 5am. It hurts. Andy suggested we consult the sacred book...one know the one. Dr W says to start trying to stretch out bedtimes a bit later, by 20 minutes at a time. I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Most nights they are ready to go down by 5:30/6...it's early, but they nap multiple times and are still tired enough to go to bed at this time. It's a catch 22, but I'm determined that we'll fix it at some point. Mommy drinks lots of coffee.

*The flowers in our garden are sprouting! Andy and I just planted the rest of our seeds a few days ago...all vegetables. We're probably a bit late, but neither one of us has tended our own garden before, so we've determined that it's ok if this year is just for practice. Andy primed the birdhouse for E's part of the garden, and also the sign we're going to hang on the fence by his flowers. I've got some acrylic paint and I'm just going to let him go wild. Originally I wanted it to be pretty, but that's no fun for him!

*The filter was not the issue with our vacuum. I deconstructed the whole thing and found a nasty clog...apparently you are not supposed to vacuum over magnets...oops! So it's fixed and fabulous now, but now we have a new cleaning person and she brings her own. We love her...she's great...I'm still wondering what happened to Mary, but our new lady does a great job...and she's picky like me!

*Ethan's potty training is going great. We got new toilet seats...the ones with the little insert that you can keep down, or lock up. Much better than having potty chairs everywhere...although we still have one in the living room for emergencies...and I think I'll get one for outside. I'm hoping we're almost done with pull-ups during the day, although Ethan promptly peed his Mater underwear when he tried them out last night. Gotta start sometime! We're so proud of him, and he likes to remind us of that, "I peed, and you and Daddy are so proud of me!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And then, Grampa said, "If you are the Gingerbeard Man, then...I am the fox."
Ethan, "NOOOOO, you can't be the fox, you have to be Grampa!"

Liz said...

Oh my goodness. . I forgot about that!! It was so funny :)