Monday, January 18, 2010

Big girls don't cry...about beds.

One thing that always surprises me about Motherhood, is that seemingly simple and ordinary events, are now worthy of tears. For example, a new bed. Getting a new bed is no big deal, really. But when your baby, your first baby, gets his second "big boy bed"...well, that is just about enough to make me cry hard enough that it's embarrassing...thankfully, I was able to control myself until later in the day, where I had a moment to myself and let out a tear, or two, or three...hundred.

It dawned on me a few weeks ago, after Ethan asked me to lie in his bed for a little bit one night at bedtime, that maybe the reason he was getting up frequently during the night is because his bed was hard as a rock. Poor guy. So, shortly thereafter, I asked him if he was ready to get a bigger big boy bed (which we now call his "big big boy bed")...he told me "Yes, maybe next Tuesday"...maybe next Tuesday the movers would come and take his race car bed away. But, he eventually agreed that instead of having movers take it, we should save it for one of his brothers because the race car bed is so cool. He cracks me up.

A few weeks went by with "buy bed frame for Ethan" on my to-do list. This weekend I decided that we just needed to get it done. I mean, geez, I started the whole "big boy room" transformation last July...and it has taken me months to get each step done. I didn't even finish the painting (the closet) until just before Christmas!! I still need to get some blackout blinds so I can put up his new curtains (white) and valance (Cars theme in red). Part of my New Year's resolution is to start cutting myself some slack, so I'm not going to beat myself up about the completion of his room taking this long...that is just the way things go now!

My wonderful husband went to IKEA (that's a huge deal for those that don't know Andy) yesterday morning and bought the frame. We decided to do full size since we already had a box spring and mattress in that size. It ended up being a little too high up with the box spring, so today Andy went back to IKEA (twice in one weekend is an even BIGGER deal!) and bought the roll of slats to use in place of a box spring, and the height is much better. I still need to get a bedding set...we got him an extra pillow and we had a sheet we could use, but he's still using just a bunch of blankets that he used in his race car bed (right now it's the huge fleece one that took me like a week to make!). I'm debating between going Cars theme, or just doing something red that wouldn't clash with his bright blue walls.

Because of the new bed location, I had to move some of the Cars stickers that we'd put up on the wall last Summer. But, I mistakenly moved them while Ethan was in the room, so he learned that they peel off and can stick back on. Can you tell me what's wrong in this picture? And poor, poor Sheriff! He must have had a lot of fun during naptime today.

He looks happy in his new bed, right?


So, why does Mommy cry about all of this? Sometimes pictures say it better than words...


June 2007


Standing up in the crib, July 2007


He can crawl out...time for a crib tent...August 2007


Washing out his race car bed after we bought it (used)...August 2008

The new bed hung out in the guest bedroom so Ethan could "acclimate" and try it out when he wanted to...September 2008


The race car bed moved into Ethan's room, but he insisted the crib tent stay on...September 2008

The crib tent is off, the safety rail is on...October 2008

Ethan's big boy room...July 2009


New blanket made by Mommy...November 2009


Ethan's bedroom today...January 2010...what a big big boy!! Mommy cries again. Happy tears.

2 comments:

Louvuhl M said...

OK, E's L-ville Gramma Nana is sobbing now! Where's the Kleenex? My, how our dear E growing up!

jenny said...

the bed transition is always a hard one. tucker had the same cars bed with the crib mattress and yes, i think it was too hard. now he's got a twin BIG bed - he actually has a step stool to get in and out of it. but i keep the rail on and it's all good. i even think i have to get a better mattress than what he has now (we just got the cheapest) but it does make a difference i swear! aaah, seeing them grow up is a crazy emotional rollercoaster at times! you're not alone.

and that is the end of my novel! :)