Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Nerd alert!

Other Type-A'ers might enjoy this website as much as me...I just spent most of my birthday money ordering stuff at www.seejanework.com.

I'm taking a class, and last month the leader mentioned a system she uses that simplifies her life. I was intrigued and emailed her later for more details!

The basis of the system is a wall-mount organizer with 3 baskets. I didn't order the exact same one as her...she is more fun and her's is red, and I went for basic silver. The premise is the same. She labels them "to be paid", "to be filed" and "misc". Right off the bat, that's better than my mail-sorting system of "open & place on top of the computer, and then move around the house from place to place until finally addressing"...that doesn't sound very Type A does it?! Such is the result of TOO much paper!!

Above the file system are two clipboards: one for groceries/household supplies, and one for household to-do's. I'm not exactly sure yet where I'm going to set up this whole system, so I opted for something I thought would take up less space, just in case. I bought some basic clips, and some little note pads that I can clip in there for making my lists. The clips are magnetic, but I'm hoping my do-it-yourself-savvy husband can figure out a way to adhere these to the wall.

The whole idea of this is to touch paper coming into the house as few times as possible...I think twice will work...once to open and file into system ("to pay" or "to file"), and once when completing the task (paying or filing).

The whole idea of class this month was to work on your support system, which really can be more than the people around you (thankfully, I have that and they are awesome!)...initiating this organization system is one of the things that will "support" me day to day, I hope!!

2 comments:

Emma said...

Good job, Hil!! That website looks very tempting!

Monica A. said...

LOVE SeeJaneWork! If you like them you;; also like sortingwithstyle.com ...tons of cute office supplies!