Saturday, January 30, 2010

Nerdville...but there's kid pictures too!

A few days ago I received a huge package in the mail and I knew right away what it was! My seejanework order! I mean, there's only a few box sizes that a 3-tier file system fits in! Andy was out of town when it arrived and, since I defer to him for all things requiring a power tool, I had to wait until this weekend to get my organization system up and running.

It went up this morning and I am SO happy! Now I know that this makes me a huge nerd, but the relief of having my paperwork under control eliminates a ton of the stress that I lug around with me each day.

Behold, a system for sorting incoming paper.

Top is "To File", middle is "To Pay/Address" and bottom is "Misc". The "Misc" folder is probably my favorite part...finally, a place to put the preschool handbook, the ECFE policies & procedures, Ethan's class lists, the First Aid reference book.

My original idea was to put all of my seejanework organizational order in one central spot. However, the place where I ended up hanging my file folders (on the outside of our computer desk...aka, typical spot for the refrigerator in custom cabinets) didn't really make sense as a place to keep the "Gro/Target" and "To-Do" lists. So, I used the magnetic clips (that I ordered to hold the tablets) in the only spot where I could...the side of the fridge. **Side bar: Does anyone else have a refrigerator that isn't magnetic on the front? I have never seen such a thing until now!** It will actually be a great spot to have these lists...open the fridge and there's no milk? Add milk to list. Perfect! I think I'll hang a pen/pencil on a string tied to the clip...I mean, seriously, if I have to make my way across the kitchen amidst the chaos to get a pen, I will have forgotten what I needed by the time I get back. Hence the list-making...I can't remember anything for longer than 30 seconds these days!

Also, putting the lists in this spot means I have to find something new to do with our recycling. Our current system is putting a brown grocery/Target back on the counter-top next to the fridge until it's full (like 5 minutes) and then bringing it out to the garage, but since it's always overflowing, it's never very pretty (I removed it for this picture). Andy & Ethan are at Target right now picking up some things, and something for the recycling is on their list. I'm excited to see what they come up with.

Next to the two pads of white paper is a super fun birthday gift from Kristy...a "Don't Kill the Kids...and other babysitter basics" tablet where we can list our contact information, kids' nap/bedtimes, meal plans, emergency numbers, etc. So great! Usually I just jot this stuff down at the last minute on a scrap of paper...but now, I have a system...which is the point of all of this!!

And, since I've bored the heck out of everybody who doesn't give a crap about being organized, which is probably 90% of my readers...pictures of the kids...


BEFORE the Vikings game last weekend...all full of hope...eager faces...and that's all I have to say about that right now.

Mr E on his new Spiderman-mobile. I found out this morning that one of the "noise" settings on this plays the "Nee Song"...otherwise known as "Waltzing Matilda" by the Australians...which is Ethan's favorite song, learned from the World Playground CD.

Owen is such a Harley dude. Minutes before this picture he was crouched up on the seat with his feet on the seat like he was going to stand *heart attack*...Evil Knievel wannabe in the works. OMG.
(Yes, he's not wearing any pants...why don't they make 15-month clothes?! 12-mo is too small, but 18-mo falls off...I gave up putting them back on around 4pm)

I'm wondering when this drool stage will be over with Dylan. He's like a Saint Bernard...he needs a drool towel...strings of drool fly around as he plays. It's amazing how we've all become accustomed to this...we all just swipe the drool away, wipe it on our shirts/pants like it's no big deal...just a part of life. You can't see in this picture that the whole front of his shirt is drenched. He might go through 2-3 shirts a day...we try to keep a bib on him, but he typically rips it off in protest. Even if he drools until he's 17, I still don't think he'll have any trouble with the ladies...look at those blue eyes!

5 comments:

Louvuhl M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louvuhl M said...

I'm so happy that your organizational items arrived and that they're all ready to help you out. Thanks for the children updates and the adorable pictures. Are any NOT adorable? Anyway, I've selected the photo with all 3 in Vikings shirts for my new desktop. This gramma is so in love!

Emma said...

The line about a St. Bernard made me laugh out loud. He is SO CUTE!! Wait--they all are. Good job working your systems!!

Anonymous said...

I have a serious, serious love for organization. I am not ashamed to say that the highlight of my week was emptying, cleaning and reorganizing my refrigerator.

Love the pictures of the kids - they are all so, so cute!

jenny said...

totally geeked about your seejanework stuff. i spent some time this weekend organizing and it feels awesome.

btw - stainless steel fridges are not magnetic on the front. my parents is the same way. boo!

ps. the kiddies are adorable. as always. :)