Monday, January 25, 2010

Ethanisms and random Ethan tidbits

'Member how I used to write all those "Ethanism" posts with word-for-word quotes from the big man himself? Well, I have just about given up all hope at recording the funny things that come out of this kid's mouth. I mean, I'd just have to walk around with a notepad and pen around my neck so I could jot it down right when he says it. He's super funny...some things he says are funny because they are Ethan originals, and others are funny because he is repeating something he picked up from someone who is over 5 years old.

Right now, he is starting most of his comments with "Well"...like, "Well, I would like a peanut butter sandwich"..."Well, we should go downstairs and play" Sometimes there are multiple "Well"s....such as, "Well, well, Mommy, you should make dinner."


Another good one is "First of all"..."First of all, I will put my cars in my basket and then we will go over there"...


The one that makes me giggle every time..."OK? Okay"...answering his own question. Like, "I'm going to run upstairs quick, OK? Okay."


Then there's just throwing in words that are funny to hear a 3-year-old say in any context. "Actually" is one of the best. "Plenty" is also a good one.


There's also the intonation & seriousness of things he says...why, just saying an affirmative, "Uh, huh" can bring him all over the octave and last about 20 seconds.


Then there are the observations of what is currently going on, and the recollections of things that have been said in the past...and seriously, that might have been like 3 weeks ago and he will still remember all of what was said....


These are two recent ones...


"My family likes to drink coffee...except for Josh and Gramma Leslie, and Liz too. They don't like the taste of hot coffee that the rest of my family drinks" This came up last weekend, I think, when Andy and I were having our morning coffee. He asked if everyone likes coffee as much as us, so we told him who does and doesn't like coffee in our family. I guess he just wanted to let me know that he knew.


Also..."Dylan is banging his head on that thing over there and if he does it too many times he will have to do to the Doctor"...he said this very seriously and dramatically, which made it even harder to not laugh. And for the record, Dylan was just bobbing his head against the back of the island, which is a very lightweight wood and was not in any way hurting himself.


I guess he was on a comedic roll, because he also told me that his cars were driving to "The town of Leslieville"...usually the cars and driving to Louisville...but I'm sure Gramma Leslie will appreciate the invention of a town named just after her!


That's all for quotes, folks...


I'll wrap with a few things...


Preschool registration for NEXT year was already this past week. Our first pick is 3 days a week in the 3/4 year old class. The 2nd and 3rd picks were just the 2-day option. I REALLY hope we get the 3-day class. Thankfully, Gramma Leslie was able to go to the pre-registration last week when I was out of town, so we have a good shot. He loves school and would do so great in their 3-day program! I just can't believe that we are already doing registration for September while in January!!


Ethan's bed is complete. Check out the new bedding. Now, just the curtains need to get finished and we're done. I have until July before I have to say this room took me a year to complete. Sad.


Ethan got a cool gift from his Daddy for Christmas...a Cars shaving kit. Now, he can make his own "funny beard"






4 comments:

Lizard (Liz) said...

This stuff is too sweet! Today he said to me, "We call you Lizard" . . and pretty much repeated that for most of the day! I can't get over some of the things he says and I wish I had a tape recorder!

Anonymous said...

"Actually" is a big one around here as well . . . oh the things that they say!

Ethan's room turned out great - love the new bedding!

the old man down the road said...

Ethan at the Children's Museum Saturday, "What the heck is going on?"

At a stop light on the way home, "Grampa, that woman (in the car up ahead)doesn't know what's going on!"

Andy?

Louvuhl M said...

E's shaving pic is my new desktop photo. TOOOOO cute!