Thursday, April 2, 2009

The one where I talk about poop...

Poop. It's everywhere. Why is it that the day you give the babies baths, they have huge blowouts, multiple times? I don't get it. I was working at home today in the basement, so I missed out on Dylan and Owen's blowouts, but I handled a toddler-sized one of my own.

Last weekend I put all my Facebook friends on the edge of their seats by putting on my status that I had just witnessed the grossest thing I have ever experienced as a parent. Stop reading now if you don't have a strong stomach...

Seriously....

I warned you....

Ok, Andy was feeding D & O before bedtime while I was eating dinner with Ethan. Dylan had finished and was ready to go up to bed so I came over and scooped him up. Andy said, "I think he farted or something, you might want to check"...."or something" is right. Total massive blowout, which I somehow didn't notice until it was all over the changing table, the onesie, the sleeper, his legs, feet....everywhere! I was perplexed...where to start?! While taking my sweet ol' time trying not to get it on me, I left his little man-part out in the breeze for too long and out came a perfect arch of pee....into his mouth. Ack! I know, it's sterile; people drink it in survival situations, but gag me. Nast.

Until today, that was one of the nastiest things I've seen as a Mommy. Today, I was upstairs having lunch, and Ethan was clearly taking care of business behind the rocking chair. When he finally emerged his pants were all wet down the back, so I took him upstairs to take care of it. Ahhhhhh! Everywhere...pants, legs, back, socks....Andy asked me tonight, "Why didn't you just take him to the potty?"....no, no, no, it wouldn't have fit...I'm not sure a grown man could have produced such a disaster. Enough poop talk...but really, that was the nastiest thing I have ever seen as a parent. It topped puke...and I hate puke.

*****

Lately I've been...hmm, how should I say....let's say "stressed." So Andy called me this afternoon and told me I should plan on getting out of the house tonight when he gets home from work. Go do something for myself. Wow...now that's a thought. I told him I would need to brainstorm during the afternoon, but I would surely take him up on that offer. This is what I came up with....JoAnn Fabrics and Target. I know...pretty lame.

I've been wanting to get some fleece to make the boys blankets, so I took this opportunity to spend a small fortune at JoAnn's on fleece fabric so I can be artsy. I got the cutest prints...a woman next to me at the cutting table even asked if she could copy me, and she did. JoAnn's makes me feel like I am not nearly crafty enough and I want to buy everything in sight when I'm in there. I came up with some ideas of things to do with Ethan this Summer (painting a bird feeder to put in the Sunflower garden we are going to make!). But I managed to escape with just my fleece, some pins, and a piece of posterboard....$108.

Next stop...Target, where I spent another cool hundred or so. I was done with my Mommy time by 7:30. I decided to head home before I used up our entire checking account. I just can't think of much to do on my own...period...and anything I can think of, would likely end up in me spending money. When I got home, Andy was just putting Ethan to bed. He's the smoothest Dad in the World...3 kids - 2 babies and a toddler...the toys are put away, Ethan was bathed (blowout!), everyone is fed, kitchen is organized...don't they need me?! :>

Bedtime. My next topic. I guess I'm just in the Dr Weissbluth mindset about bedtimes...our kids go to bed early and typically get a lot of sleep (except when Ethan rebels against naptime!). So, when I see kids, young kids, at Target after dinnertime, I am totally confused...and kinda jealous! We aren't able to do errands with our kids after dinnertime....it'd be a lot easier if we could...there are few times when we can run errands with them...and when we're not with them, we are usually too tired to run errands, or want to do something...gasp...that doesn't involve being responsible.

Our neighbors have a daughter who is about Ethan's age and we were so jealous when they told us when she was about 3 months that she slept through the night. Then it came out that she slept from 11 to 6 and that was "through the night"...When she started sleeping like a toddler, she was sleeping from 11pm to 10am. That doesn't work for our schedule. And while it would be really awesome to have more evening time with our kids, our house wakes up early, and when kids/babies need at least 10 hours of sleep, they have to go to bed early to get it. It stinks...there's little time to hang as a fam besides weekends. But Dr W says a well-rested home is a happy home, and after two nights of babies sleeping 7 to 5:45...I think he has a point.

3 comments:

Louvuhl M said...

I'm glad that you had a good time 'out and about' by yourself! Thinking of you! M

Michelle Leigh said...

I think the pee incident is funnier! But, I didn't have to deal with all the mess, thank God! Although I've had my fair share with my 2 poop monsters!

Our kids are in bed by 7:30 or 8. Holy crap 11 is late. What are they thinking? That can't be a healthy habit to instill! The summer brings later bedtimes and that's fine, we enjoy late nights outside but it never goes past 8:30 or 9.

I'd say your house sounds like an adventure, but sadly your house seems calmer than mine! But, once those boys are walking I'm sure it will change! At least we have wine, right?

Burgh Baby said...

Um, yuck. Yeah, I'll stick with that. YUCK.