Saturday, April 11, 2009

A perfect weekend

Andy and I thought we had colds, because our kids all have them, but it turns out, we might just have allergies. Annoying, for sure, but a small price to pay for decent weather at last!! Andy popped Benadyl and napped on and off all day yesterday. Last night he finally found something that works and doesn't make him drowsy...Wall-itin (Claritin from Wallgreens). I've been taking Benadyl for years, so it doesn't make me quite as drowsy...but it wasn't helping me much yesterday as I spent 4 hours outside cleaning up our landscaping beds. Andy raked the front yard in the morning with Ethan, and when he was done, I started my mission to de-junk our flower beds. I've never sneezed so much in my life.

It looks better, but not good. Only the day lillies are coming up right now, so the beds are pretty bare, but at least they aren't covered in leaves and last year's dead plants. Ethan was helping me before lunchtime. He was all about scooping up leaves from the pile and putting them in the bag, and honestly, he was really helpful! At one point he announced, "We are having FUN!"...I'm glad that yard-work is fun for him...looks like that will be his chore!

It was hard work...

Just minutes earlier he was yelling from his room, "I don't NEED a nap. I don't WANT quiet time"...then face-planted into the carpet and slept there for almost 3 hours.

Andy went out last night. I did ok with the 3 boys on my own during dinnertime and bedtime...there is a lot going on, so it just takes some serious organization. Andy helped me feed Dylan and Owen rice cereal before he left. Then I made Ethan's dinner. He told me he wasn't ready to eat yet, but I figured I better be ready because when he's ready I could be tied up with babies. I fed Dylan a bottle and put him in the bouncy chair, then I fed Owen a bottle. Then Ethan decided he was ready for dinner so I got him set up with dinner, put Owen to bed, and then Dylan (who had fallen asleep in the bouncy chair while I was feeding Owen). It doesn't sound that difficult, but there's just a lot of activity going on at once, and timing is very important!



The past two nights, D & O have slept through the night. Rice cereal is going well, but the boys have been acting hungry after their 6 oz bottles, even after rice cereal. So, we picked up some 9 oz bottles and we've been doing those after rice cereal before bed the past two nights. We have also done 9 oz during the day sometimes. They go longer between feedings, and don't cry as much at the end of feedings. Everything with twins, or babies in general, is just learn as you go...we've forgotten so much since Ethan was a baby!!

I spent a good amount of time making fleece blankets for each of my sons the past couple days. At first it wasn't intended to be an Easter gift, but I started and finished my first one on Thursday night and then realized that I could have all three done by Sunday/Easter, so that became my goal. Friday night, Saturday during nap, and I still had enough time to wash them before setting them out this morning. I also spent a good amount of time in the Easter aisles at Target trying to pick out things for Ethan's Easter basket. It is SO hard to find things that aren't candy-based. I bought some Crunch eggs and 4 Reeses bunnies (I gave Ethan one, and ate the other 3!!), but that was it for candy. Ethan got one of the Crunch eggs this morning...bite size...we (as in Ethan) just don't do much candy in this house.

Ethan liked his basket...a car, playdoh, stickers, spinny egg with lightup thing (have no idea how to explain this one...Ethie calls it the "crazy egg"), and a Cars egg decorating kit. Oh, and the blanket that I slaved over. He liked the basket...the blanket, not so much. This is what he said to me, point blank, after I told him I made it for him, "Actually, I don't like it very much. I will put it on the floor at the bottom of my bed"...no joke. Ouch. We'll use it for something...they are perfect for floor-time...or maybe I'll sleep with it! It's very softy :>

My aunt and uncle hosted Easter dinner this afternoon. It was during Ethan's naptime so our plan was that I would go with the babies and Andy would stay home with Ethan. Dylan was sleeping when I needed to leave, so it was just me and Owen (who had just woken up from a 2 1/2 hr nap IN HIS CRIB!!) He was perfectly behaved...really, I could not have hoped for a better baby...it floored me! We had a great time!

When I got home, Andy and Ethan went out to pick up some eggs...at the gas station, I believe (note to self: if you buy an egg decorating kit, make sure you don't use up all the eggs for breakfast the day before Easter!). Then we put Dylan and Owen to bed, ate dinner, and decorated eggs. Next time I will go for the pastel look...the directions said to add 3 Tbsp of vinegar for bright colors and I thought that sounded great, so we did, and man, do they stink...and the colors aren't even that vibrant. We started too late to allow them to dry and have Ethan put on the stickers before bedtime, so hopefully he can do that with Gamma tomorrow.


After all the kids were in bed, Andy and I found our gloves and played catch in the backyard. He even pitched to me and let me him them at 10%...I can't wait for my team's first practice on Wednesday night.

Really, a great day...one of the best ones I've had in awhile! Happy Easter!

2 comments:

Louvuhl M said...

Happy to read that you and the family had a wonderful Easter, honey! All the pics are cute but the one of E 'face-planted' is a hoot! L, M (BTW, I think the blankets are adorable and I think E will love his!)

Carol-Sutarooni said...

I loved this post. So happy and normal and filled with love. Happy Easter indeed!