Thursday, April 30, 2009

Solo

Dylan and Owen laying together on the mat. Flashback to the early days of big brother, Ethan...something about the below picture is just precious to me...his eyes, maybe?...it is the only 8x10 of Ethan that I have framed. I love it.

Owen (L), Dylan (R): "Hey, how long have you been here?"...they are truly starting to notice each other...so fun!

*****

Oh. my. God.

I have three peacefully sleeping children in my home and I'm on. my. own.

My mantra for the weekend: "I am a capable parent. I am in charge."

If I can just keep that running through my head this weekend I think I will be okay.

Andy left about an hour ago to drive to Kentucky with his brothers and brother-in-law for this weekend's big Kentucky Derby, and he gets to hang out with my parents as well! I'm going next year...and that's that. I went to KY in 2006...to the Oaks, the race the day before. But I was pregnant with Ethan that year, and partying in the infield on Saturday at the Derby was out of the question. Andy went with some friends, who drove up from SoCarolina, and I stayed home and did a puzzle with my mom. We had a blast...so did they!

I'm loaning my Oaks hat...a big floppy sage green hat with black ribbon and purple/pink flowers... to a friend who is able to attend the Derby party, here in MN, that our friends are throwing. Next year I am determined to celebrate the Derby with Mint Juleps...but this year, I'll watch the horseys run on TV with Ethan. He's already picked his horses. He seems fond of "Chocolate Candy"...big wonder there!! He also likes "General Quarters", "Musket Man" (his daddy's favorite too!), "Pioneerof the Nile", and "Mine that Bird"...Toddlers have incredible insight into some things...make your bets...

Anyways, as terrified as I feel I should be about being a single parent this weekend...I'm not, really. I can hold my own when Daddy's around, but there's just a sense of security when someone else is around. Someone who is as incredible a parent as our Daddy/Andy.

The upside is, I won't have any time for projects or other to-do's around the house...my Type A will have to take a vacation and I will just have to spend all my time with my boys...oh boo...it doesn't get any better!!

*****

Ethan was singing Old MacDonald with Gamma today...I was working in the basement and Daddy had the day off...he heard the following and came down to share with me. Gamma was pausing after they sang, "Old MacDonald had a..." so Ethan could fill in the blank. After a few he came up with..."Old MacDonald had a baby brother, with a wah-wah here and a wah-wah there..." What a sense of humor this one has!!

*****

Along with that sense of humor comes an attitude. Ethan has made me tear up several times in the past couple days. I feel seasoned, a little bit, as a parent. We've been through some things...he's been a toddler for awhile...but some words just sting. Ethie can be so loving one minute and such a turd the next. Yesterday, I came home from work and Ethan was still sleeping during his nap. I went up to wake him around 5, because I had a softball game at 6 and I wanted to hang with him a little before Andy got home. I opened the door and he screamed, "No! Where is Gamma?!" That was enough for me. I went back downstairs without a word to him. Ouch. I tried one more time. Same thing. Some afternoons I am greeted with "Hi Mommy!" and huge smiles...then this. I went downstairs after my last attempt, scooped up Dylan and soaked up his love. Daddy came home, had a talk with Ethan, who "palagized" to me, and then I left for softball. I skipped the after-game bar with my team because I knew Ethan would still be awake and I needed to make up with him. We read a book and snuggled and all was good in the world again. At least I can console myself in baby-love when "two" Ethan kicks in...what happens when he is 4 and sassy, and Dylan and Owen are 2 and sassy too?! I guess that's when Mommy retreats to the basement with a glass of Pinot.

*****

1 comment:

(Great) Uncle Tom said...

This is very cute, Hilary. I like your comment about the twins noticing each other - too funny :-)