Friday, November 21, 2008

32w 1d

Not having any "exciting" updates at 32w 1d is a really good thing...but it will make for a very boring post.

Yesterday I had my doctor appointment and it was the fastest visit ever. They took my weight (no gain since last week...out to the decimal point...I eat ice cream every night and will continue to do so)...checked my blood pressure...measured my belly...listened to the babies' heartbeats. Then we just talked...She confirmed that they would induce no earlier than 38 weeks (Jan 1...although I think it's a tad bit premature to worry about having the boys in 2009 vs this year) but she was 99% sure I would go into labor on my own before then...I asked if I needed to worry about contractions if I had a negative result to my last fetal fibronectin. They are like 95% accurate, but it shouldn't give me a full sense of security and I should use my best judgement about the severity of my contractions and come in when needed (she told me not to be afraid to cry wolf)...and they can't predict when your water is going to break. So, they might tell me I'm unlikely to go into labor with contractions, but my water could break at any time apparently. That was it...

This morning was the biophysical ultrasound and both boys passed with flying colors. They are still both taking practice breaths (I also learned that taking in some amniotic fluid into their lungs helps with lung development...this part of the exam shows that their brains are teaching their bodies how to breathe). They both have enough fluid, good heartrates, healthy placentas....And my cervical exam showed that it's still closed. I got two GREAT pictures of B's face...he looks like he's smiling...I can't look at it without tearing up. We tried to get A too, but the poor guy, no matter what position the two of them are in (transverse or vertex), is always squished against something. His face is pressed right up against my cervix...so he's the one that makes me jump every so often.

I have some more appointments next week, despite it being a Holiday week. When the hospital called to schedule my ultrasounds, they asked if I was going out of town, which I thought was really stupid...I just said "Um, no"...but seriously...should I be traveling far from home right now? I won't even let Andy go to Northfield to hunt and that's like 40 minutes away!! (I would "let" him, but I would pout about it)

Anyways, next Wednesday is my shot and another biophysical ultrasound, plus a growth ultrasound, at the hospital perionatology clinic where I was at today. Since everything has to be "ordered" by a doctor and a growth US hadn't been ordered for today I wasn't able to get estimates on their weights...but they sure did look quite a bit bigger to me. It will have been 4 weeks since my last growth ultrasound by the time I have the next one on Wednesday so I'm expecting quite an increase in weight. Next week on Friday I have another appointment with my doctor.

All the medical personnel at my appointments seem to get all cheerleady with me when I get great results like today. I'm excited too, but I don't clap my hands and jump up and down and hug people (they like to give me hugs) like they do...I guess I am just cautiously optimistic. I keep running through my head the comments from my dr earlier in my pregnancy...the first was when we first found out we were having two babies and she told us that it didn't mean we'd take home two babies, or even one (uplifting, right?...she's much more personal now)...and the second comment was several weeks later when things were going fine and she said that twins can be doing great one day and cause trouble the next. So...I take things day by day...really. At 32w 1d, 7:30pm, it looks like these boys are going to beat their older brother in gestational age...Tomorrow will be the most pregnant (time-wise, not size-wise!! :>) I have ever been!!

1 comment:

Eri said...

Every day that I check in with either the blog or your facebook and the boys aren't here I do a little cheer and tell John.

You can do it! And you are!