Friday, November 28, 2008

33 week appt...

Another dull appointment today. I haven't received the results of the fetal fibronectin test she took this morning, so maybe "dull" isn't the way to describe the appointment, but a few hours will tell. It was the first time that she really discussed what we would do if it comes back positive...I am guessing she thinks it will. All that means is that it's likely I'd go into labor within the next 2 weeks...35...that wouldn't be so bad. If it's positive, she wouldn't run any more tests...since we would assume that they'd all result in positive results.

I'm still contracting and cramping a ton, but my cervix isn't doing a damn thing...it was still closed when she checked today...which is good, obviously, but I really wish my body would just stop practicing so much!! My dr thinks it's unlikely that there would be any decrease in contractions from now on...just one time, they will be real. Sometimes, the body starts practicing earlier in the 20-weeks and then there's a lull until real labor, but since I've been contracting so much in the early 30s too, there's no reason to believe any lull is in sight. Bummer.

One thing the maternal fetal medicine clinic (the clinic that does my biophysical ultrasounds (BPPs)) wanted me to ask my dr was if they should do the next growth ultrasound or if my clinic should do it. The next one would be on the 17th, at 36 weeks. She responded, well, you'll probably never get there, but it's a good idea for the other clinic to do it...apparently, I am getting to the point where it's harder for my primary clinic to do my ultrasounds (too much baby in there) and I really need a Level 2. Fine by me, since I'll be going to the MFM clinic for weekly BPPs anyways....less getting in and out of the car (which is crazy hard!). Actually, after she told me I'd probably never make it to 36, she recanted and said that hey, maybe I would...all our other predictions of how long I'd make it were wrong, so maybe our pessimism is helping us. 36 weeks is the ultimate goal now...the 18th...(Happy Birthday, Anne T on the 17th!). At 36 weeks, I'd no longer need to have my Progesterone shots, should no longer be taking the Terbutaline and the best part is, we'd likely be able to take the babies home with us!! Wonder what that's like!! That being said, I have still picked December 6th in an unofficial baby pool with some ex-co-workers/friends of mine.

Something interesting is that I have gained 5lbs in the past week putting my total at 43lbs. Hurray, I have met the 20lbs per baby recommendation! The interesting part of the 5lb gain is that my appetite has been seriously decreased for about the last 2 weeks. So, I think I can blame some of the 5lbs on turkey dinner yesterday...thanks to my in-laws and Andy for cooking! My dr said that decreased appetite and nausea (I've been having that too, mostly in the early evening) is really common in the late third trimester due to my shrinking capacity for food, so I should just try to eat little snacks/meals throughout the day. I'll give it my best try, but I really only feel like eating fried eggs and ice cream...not together. She said that even though I might not be eating a lot, the babies are grasping onto everything I am eating and that's probably where the weight gain is going...to them (good...they can take it with them when they are born too :>). They are in fat-gain mode and bulking up for the outside world. Plus, I am probably not burning a lot of calories while on bedrest.

Babies' heartrates were 130 (A) and 135/140 (B)...typical variance between the two and a little slower than usual, but 120-160 is a normal range...

We missed the 32-week picture, but we'll take a 33-week picture today and post that soon. I noticed this morning that I am becoming more "shelf-life" on top. I might have seen a stretch mark and consulted with Jen about it last Wednesday. She didn't think it was one since stretch marks usually happen on the lower part of the belly and this purple line was right in the middle...whatever it is, she thinks it will go away. Phew.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good work keeping those buns in the oven! i would love to share a birthday with the little guys :)

Denise said...

Way to go girlie! The longer you can go the better! Thinking of you!