Saturday, December 13, 2008

12-13 updates

I had a wonderful visit with the boys today. I skipped my pain meds this morning so that I could drive over there while Andy and Ethan went shopping. I had a great conversation with the nurse about my intentions to attempt breast-feeding. She recommended we get a Parenting Room during their stay. So, even though we live close, I'll have a room to use next week (at least) so that I won't have to run back and forth from the house or spend the entire day in the NICU...I can take a break for a nap, watch some TV, read a book, finish the final touches on the cross-stitch!! This way, I will be able to be there for their feedings every 3 hours...hopefully my being there more often and practicing breast-feeding with both of them while they are in the NICU will increase our chances of success. If breast-feeding doesn't work, I won't be doing the pumping and bottle-feeding that I did for Ethan...it's too much...but I will at least be doing that during their stay at the NICU...I've only been home one night, but it was weird to get up in the middle of the night last night to pump when no babies were home.

What was special about today's visit was that I got to hold Owen skin-to-skin..otherwise known as kangaroo-care. The nurse recommended that I put him to breast during his feeding (by feeding tube) to see what he'd do..." just to play" as she said. She didn't expect him to do much, just poke around, but he latched right on!! Whoa, is that different than pumping!! It's amazing. I never got Ethan to latch and gave up pretty easy...really, I think I was really scared about his size and directing his little head into position. I'm much more comfortable this time around...I know I'm not going to break them...I can gently grasp their head and guide them and that's what helps them until they get the hang of it. Anyways, the nurse was really impressed by him and I am totally encouraged that this might actually work. Next week, I'll be spending lots of time at the NICU/Parenting Room and I've requested a lactation consultant to help me. It's worth a shot.

I wasn't able to have this special time with Dylan this time around so I was really bummed about that. But Andy was able to make it over for the 3:00 feeding and did kangaroo-care with him. The nurses really recommended that dads get in on that too...bonding with both parents is very important!!

I brought over two storage cups of breast-milk when I went over for the noon feeding today. I was thrilled that it was enough (and a little leftover) for both boys' lunches!! Even though each storage cup was three pumpings worth, it felt really great to give them a meal all from me...made waking up at 2am last night definitely worth it!!

I got a quick update from the neonatologist while I was there. Both boys are gaining weight. Owen has been spitting up a little so they backed off on his feedings a little bit. There are no current breathing issues with either of them. The two issues left (breathing was the third) that determine when they will come home is maintaining their temperature and eating from bottle or breast. They are currently getting all their feedings via feeding tube and are in isolettes to maintain their temp. It's just a matter of time, he said...some preemies go home around their 36-week mark (this coming Thurs) and others 37 or 37+...so it's just a waiting game from now on. Dylan does have one "issue" that they are watching...actually, it's on the back-burner...the neonatologist didn't even mention it to me today...I asked just because one of the nurses had mentioned it a few days ago. He has a small murmur that they hear off and on...they check everyday, but are not concerned. If it's still there by the time he is ready to come home, they might run an echo...no details on what that entails yet.

Ethan has been a doll since I've been home...a real snuggle-bug. I really missed him and I believe the feeling was mutual! We had a good snuggle after nap-time today and I totally teared up as he leaned his head against my shoulder...I glanced at the 5 stockings above our fireplace and was overcome by how lucky I am.

3 comments:

jenny said...

i'm so glad to hear both babes are doing well! reading your post brings back so many memories from when i was in your spot @ the nicu. i hope they continue to grow and do well so they can go home for the holidays!

Cass. Just Curious said...

I'm so crying happy tears for you right now from my hotel room. I remember that first moment when Lexi latched on - I didn't have expectations if it would work, if it wouldn't. I wanted it to - but it wasn't something that was going to cloud my day up. And then she did. She just looked up at me and found that latch and went to town and it was in that moment that it just felt.....right. I'm so glad that you had that. And I'm just so thankful that everything with your boys (and you) is going well we include them in our prayers every night with Lexi. I'm lactating which probably explains why I'm so damn emotional for you. If I could do anything, would you let me know? I'm making a ton of cut out cookies (without icing) if I could send them to you for Ethan to ice and throw sprinkles on please let me know.

Burgh Baby said...

It's so funny reading your impressions of NICU. I guess having been down that path before really prepared you, because you are SO much more calm than I would be!

I'm so glad all three of your boys are doing well, and I hope the two little ones get to go home soon!