Tuesday, December 16, 2008

12-16

I was so wrong about my little Dylan...he is a boob guy. After my last post yesterday, I went in to the NICU for the noon feeding. I tried breastfeeding with both boys. They were each weighed before and after to see if they got anything directly from me. Owen poked around, but didn't really suckle much so he didn't gain any weight from breastfeeding. Dylan gained 10!! And this morning...15!! I tried again with Owen this morning and had the same result...but we'll keep trying. They are still really young for feeding on their own and Owen has had some spitting up/gas issues that might have something to do with his slow start. I'll be here for the noon feeding today...and hopefully the 3pm feeding too. Yesterday I went home after the noon feeding so I could lay down. There isn't anywhere very comfortable to lay down in my Parenting Room and I'm still recovering from surgery.

I was more prepared for my trip to the hospital this morning...one nice thing about the Parenting Room is that I can use a hospital-grade pump while I'm here...so I don't have to lug my pump here each day. I also planned ahead to bring some snacks and lunch so that if I'm feeling ok and want to stay the whole day I can make sure I'm eating well enough. It is still wicked cold today, but you can't keep me away from these precious faces...it is so fun to see them when they are a little more alert and we can stare at each other!

Andy visited the boys last night after work. The nurse on duty, Nancy...one of my favorites...recommended we bring in some clothes so they can start dressing them and dialing down the temperature in their isolettes. Maintaining their own temperatures is one of the things they need to do to be able to come home. So, I brought in all my preemie clothes and some newborn-size onesies today. I can't wait to see them dressed up! They are both really dirty right now, so I'm going back early for their noon feeding to give both boys baths...I'm guessing we'll put an outfit on each of them after they are all cleaned up. I am a little nervous about bathtime...I remembered being terrified of bathing little preemie Ethan...bathtime is SO different now, that I barely remember how to bathe an infant. Cleanest to dirtiest, support the head, and hang on tight!!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Hey lady, I'm so happy to hear that feedings are going so well & that your boys are doing so dang good! What little awesome men! I meant to tell you that I have about 12-13 preemie sleepers that we used for my boys for only about a week or two that I would be happy to send you. If you want them just give me your address and I'll get them in the mail!