Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Dec 22

Andy checked the mail yesterday afternoon and found that Dylan and Owen are all growns up...they have social security cards!! Now, if only they would get insurance cards!! That takes about 30 days...we're sure that, like with Ethan, we will get the full bill before we get the cards and are able to call in that information...we had a good laugh about E's $80K bill...and that was just for the hospital stay, no practitioners, no additional services. I always thought it would be interesting to get the itemized bill...

gauze blinder for phototherapy lights $3,000
diaper rash cream $5,000
hand-knit hat $2,500

I'm guessing that Dylan and Owen's 2+ week stay will probably cost right around the same amount that Ethan's 4 weeks did, except that we'll have to pay the deductible and 10% of each of their bills. Insurance is really an amazing thing though...what would you do without it?!

My mom and I went to the hospital yesterday afternoon and fed both Owen and Dylan. It was a great visit!! Owen took about 25 of his feeding, which is right in the range of what he's been taking. Dylan chugged down 50...we tried to give him about 10 more since he had taken up to 60 in previous feedings, but once he stopped after 50 he didn't want to take any more. Once it's in the bottle, it's gotta be tossed out...I hate that rule (I hate wasting breast-milk*!!), but re-using it can create bacteria and that is a definite a no no. (Same thing with jarred baby food...what a pain!!)

The most exciting news of yesterday's visit is that the nurse told us that Dylan will probably come home today. I brought in the car-seat and they were planning to do the test that afternoon or evening (Gamma called last night and he was right in the middle of the test and doing very well). The nurse told us that there wasn't really anything more they could do for him there that we couldn't do for him at home...he had passed his cue-based feedings and was maintaining his temps. I've got my cell phone right by me and though I'm trying not to get my hopes up (the NICU can screw with your expectations for sure!), I'm expecting to pick up our Dylan today. Of course, I've been a basket-case of tears when I think of leaving Owen there on this own, and worse, the chance that he might not be home with the rest of our family on Christmas. Ok, new topic...

My husband could be the most considerate person on Earth. Yesterday morning he went shopping and came home with a gift for Ethan's delivery nurses' daughter...the one I mentioned in a previous post whose daughter is fighting cancer. Then, he told me about his idea for a gift for the NICU nurses...he's putting a couple bottles of wine, hot chocolate, and coffee...about a dozen options for the nurses to pick from...a thank-you from Dylan and Owen, and of course, us!! He's too sweet. Also last night, I was crying about something or another and he took out a gift for me from a hiding spot...something from the VS that will make me feel less frumpy - when I fit into it...eventually!

*I will post soon about my breast-feeding dilemmas...I am so torn up about this!!

Hopefully snapfish will deliver our Christmas cards today...I ordered them last Wednesday! Get excited to read Andy's Christmas letter too!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilary,

congratulations on your 2 little angels. I have been following your blog. I heard about it from Duane (your dad) who is a colleague.
It pains me to read about your struggle with breastfeeding. It happened to me with my first born. my son would not latch and I was sad and cranky and upset and that lead me to pump for 9 months. the most stupid decision I ever made. Instead of wasting the energy fretting about it, I think we should sit with our babies and hold them and talk to them. We are good moms regardless of whether we breastfeed or not. And my son is not healthier than any other kid who was not breastfed.
In my opinion, breastfeeding is overrated. I am 38 weeks pregnant now and I have the decision, if the baby latches and it works, fine(of course supplementing with formula to get help from my husband and my mom) and if it does not work, then it is not the end of the world. I know how emotional this could be, but you are going to be the center of your boys' world for the next few years ,at least, regardless of whether you breastfeed them or not.
Good luck.... and Merry Christmas.

Cecily said...

Yay Hil! It will be so exciting to have your little guys home with you. I'm sure Owen's extra stay at the hospital will be brief and you'll all be together soon.

I hope to see you some this week! I miss you...

Burgh Baby said...

Yay! I'm so excited that you are getting closer to having your whole family together under one roof!

So long to sleeping, but YAY!