Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dec 20 & 21


Pic 1 - Daddy feeding Owen by bottle today
Pic 2 - Dylan in his crib!


The boys are in cribs and are drinking from bottles!!

Yesterday we went over for the noon feeding with my parents. The nurses told us that Dylan and Owen were both ready to try feedings from bottles. My mom was able to get Owen to take some of his feeding, but I was unsuccessful with Dylan...he was sleeping hard!! The nurse practitioner came in and gave us the update that they would be moved out of their isolettes into cribs very soon...and this afternoon when Andy and I came to visit, they were in cribs!! They had just been moved out this morning.

Last night, Andy's parents went over for the 6pm feeding and Dylan took all his bottle. We were told today that Dylan will now be on cue-based feedings, which means that he has to let them know when he wants to be fed versus being on the strict 3-hour feeding schedule that he has been on (when we were there today, he was sleeping at first and then woke up and started sucking on his hand...he took all of his feeding except for 15 from bottle). He has to take a certain amount within a 24-hour period to "pass"...not sure what happens if he passes, but I'm assuming the feeding tube comes out and then I'd assume he has to keep taking that amount for a few days to show consistency. Dylan is also ready for the car-seat test so I'm bringing that in tomorrow. They will put him in the car seat and leave him hooked up to his monitors to make sure he doesn't have any heart-rate drops or breathing episodes.

Owen took 40 of his 54 feeding today from Andy via bottle. We heard the news I've feared for awhile and that is that Owen is 1-2 days behind Dylan...the idea of leaving him there by himself is too terrible to think about. One of my favorite nurses, Nancy, reminded us that babies change day to day, so I'm hoping he just has a remarkable day that catches him right up!

5 comments:

jenny said...

i'm so glad to hear they were moved to cribs! it is very exciting that dylan is almost ready to come home - and no worries, owen will be right behind him - maybe he just wants to be fashionably late? :) take care and hang in there girl!

Anonymous said...

gosh, they look so good...i'm so glad your parents are here to be with you guys. make sure you take care of yourself...miss you!

moo said...

man, Hilary, they look great!! I'm hoping that they get to come home for Christmas!

LL said...

they look so great!!

I was so pissed off about that bitch of a nurse practitioner in the last post, but I read it on my blackberry and couldn't comment, but MAN was I irritated on your behalf. She has no idea what she's f*cking talking about. You are doing a fantastic job with all three of your boys. The NICU is hard, I can't imagine going through that routine with two babies and a toddler at home.

I hope that Mr. Owen jumps ahead in his time table, but just in case he stays a day or two behind, just think of what a tiny part of your lives that will be!

Carol-Sutarooni said...

I keep looking and looking at the pictures of your precious ones sleeping. They are working so hard! They are sleeping with every ounce of their beings, growing with every breath. Such hard workers.

How very lucky these boys are to have been born in this time to parents who can provide the care and love they need to live in this world.

I have an extra, brand new, in the box, vaporizer if you want to provide moisture for their room. Let me know and I will drop it off.

Love,
Auntie Suta