Monday, March 30, 2009

2 years

I hate March 29th. I hate it, and did my best to not acknowledge it yesterday, which is why I'm blogging about it today and not yesterday. I didn't stare at the calendar and dwell on the date, I merely recognized that it was March 29th and went about my day. But as I am cursed by a unique memory that can replay the moments of two years ago better than it can recount what I wore on Friday, I couldn't help but transport myself back to where I was 2 years ago.

Two years ago today, March 30th, I stayed home from work to take care of my sick 6-month-old baby. He wouldn't focus on anything and was throwing up all over the place. I was trying to wrap up a proposal, I even remember the client, and I yelped on a conference call as Ethan threw up on me as I paced with him in the kitchen.

I was freaked out and on the phone with the nurses line at our clinic multiple times. I'm sure I sounded like any other first-time-parent and I was assured that PediaLyte and time would take care of this stomach bug. One week later we were at Children's Hospital anticipating emergency brain surgery, which thankfully didn't need to occur (yay heriditary big head!)

I'm sure to reflect on each day of the next week or so in this manner...

Time. If I could just go back and reassure 2-years-ago-Hilary that things will be ok. I would tell her, "2007 will suck...big time...but in 2009, things will be better...and Ethan will be amazing in every way. Oh, and by the way, you'll have TWO more little boys and they will be amazing too"...

It is hard to think about anything bad when I get to love these little dudes...

(little dudes who sleep through the night!...that's right...Dylan and Owen slept from 7 to 6:30 last night!!)




5 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my gosh! I didn't realize you went through all of that. Ethan must be a tough kid! (And you and Andy must be really tough parents). No one should have to go through all of that.

Thank goodness that two years later you have the cutest boys ever! :)

Nicole said...

I'm glad the day is over for you this year. I hope as the years go by that your awful memories are replaced with some better-memorable ones with your 3 precious boys.

Liz said...

I'm sorry that you still have to think about that Hilary, and I hope that Crazy gets what she deserves. I just wanted to comment on the new pictures on top of the page, they are adorable and I love spending time with those boys :)

Michelle Leigh said...

Hilary, I hope things wrap up soon for you with Crazy. It is such an injustice but you truly are blessed by the healthy boys you have with you today. I can't believe how big Dylan is, or maybe it's just the adorable chubby cheeks! They are all getting so big and so stinking cute!

I'm glad your day was filled with lots of love from your 3 boys to help distract your memory!

Laura Gese said...

I love you and am thinking of you, Hil. Your boys are so beautiful, and you and Andy are such strong, wonderful parents.