Saturday, March 7, 2009

March: Week One


I haven't had much time to write...we've been busy. Seems like a dumb thing to write, I mean, duh...we have 3 kids 2 and under...of course we're busy.

This past week was my first back at work. I survived...and more importantly, Gamma survived. We both agreed that it was the build-up of anticipation to the beginning of our new endeavors that was more nerve-wracking than the actual doing it. It was pretty much like riding a bike for me...things are coming back slowly but surely.

Coffee. I crave it. I want it. I need it. I fantasize about it in the middle of the night when I'm up with the babies...like, "I can't wait until it's morning and I can have a cup of coffee" I never thought I'd be a daily coffee drinker, but here I am. It's not just the caffeine either...I love it.

Dylan and Owen are smiling a ton and cooing and giggling. It's so cute. Of course, I haven't really caught much of it on camera yet. I attached my closest attempt at catching Owen's smile at the top of this post. I am so amazed all the time about just how different these two look from each other, yet at the same time how much they look like brothers, and like Ethan and Andy.

Dylan is wearing 3-6 month clothes and 6-month sleepers (he's too long for 3-6 sleepers) and size 2 diapers. He is large and in charge. He is still pretty mellow most of the time, but when he is alert he really wants to be paid attention to...if he is crying, an easy way to comfort him is just to get in his face and make goofy faces at him...he really thinks that is funny and just really likes looking at people. He is a big boy and is really strong.

Owen is in 3 month clothes and size 1 diapers. He is small by comparison to Dylan, but he is super strong as well. He has serious neck control and a firm grip on anything he can get his hands on. He is less cranky than I thought he would be from his first couple weeks...he has a great temperament and is a smiley boy. He is losing his hair and looks ridiculous. I can't turn my back on Andy for one minute because I know he will shave it off just like he did to Ethan! Last night I gave Owen his bedtime bottle in Ethan's room because D was asleep in the babies' room...I had serious flashbacks to baby Ethan...rocking a petite, dark-hair and balding baby in the plush green rocker in that room. It doesn't seem like that long ago.

We are super lucky to have really good babies!! Knock on wood, but neither one of them cries inconsolably and they are pretty good with sleeping. I say that after a night of 11pm, 2am, and 5am wakings!! But really, they go to bed with minimal, if any, crying and wake as often as normal 3-month-olds do to eat. They typically go back to sleep when they are placed back in their crib.

We are completely done with the inclined sleep positioners...I even gave one away...so no turning back now. We are still swaddling...even though they always wiggle their ways out no matter how snug they start out. We started trying the fast-flow nipples again today. One feeding down and no problems so far. It is amazing how quickly the feedings go. Owen even finished the whole bottle...which might prove our theory that he eats less because he gets tired from all the effort on the slow nipples. Stay tuned...I hope this one works out.

Ethan is really talking about the potty a lot. A few nights ago, he was running across the room to hug me goodnight, stopped halfway and announced "I'm peeing...I'll go pee on the potty!"...and ran to the bathroom, but decided not to sit on the potty. He also seems to be motivated by the realization that mommy and daddy don't wear diapers. He seemed to think that we did! He wants to be just like Andy, so maybe the idea of big boy pants will be helpful. And our best effort so far happened this morning before bathtime...Ethan got undressed and sat on the potty. He said "I want the poop to come out!" (we tried REALLY hard not to laugh at this announcement)...and sat there for a couple minutes. Nothing happened, but it was a start!!

When he's 3, I think I can no longer document things like what I'm about to write...Ethan is such a boy and all about his pee-pee. When he's getting his diaper changed he'll say "I see my pee-pee...I want some powder on it" or "There's my pee-pee...I love it!"...or during D & O's bathtime..."I see his pee-pee...it's little"...I try not to laugh...he is just making observations. I think it's probably ok for him to talk about it at home...at some point we'll have to nix the pee-pee talk.

We got a letter from the County yesterday which confirmed Crazy's guilty plea and affirmed that a probation officer will meet with us prior to April 6th's sentencing. She will evaluate the defendant and meet with us to evaluate the impact of the crime on the victim (in this case, more
the impact on the victim's family) and make a recommendation on sentencing to the judge. At the sentencing we'll be able to make victim's statements or have our victim's advocate read it for us if we lose our shizz (a likely possibility for me, I have yet to NOT lose my shizz at any court-related appearances!). I haven't written about this whole thing much as it's legal and probably not a good idea to disclose much, but it's still going on FYI. April 6th is ironically 2 years to the day of Ethan's last day at daycare and the day we were admitted to Children's and our nightmare began.

Ethan is at the "radio store" with daddy this morning. We're not sure what the "radio store" is...but last night he was insisting they go there today. My guess is Best Buy since Ethan told me he was going to buy "movies and radios" at the "radio store." Then they are going to go to the "Orange store" (Home Depot) and get wood on the "wood cart"...not a regular cart, it's got to be a "wood cart." They are also headed to Costco to activate our new membership we received as a gift from Suta and Scott...thanks!! I'm chilling at home right now with babies that are in and out of sleep in the living room. We have no plans this weekend which is really exciting, albeit boring. I have massive amounts of laundry to do again, but that's about it. I'm hoping to catch some zzz's at some point.

I've taken my archived posts off the site...from now on, it's all about the kids. Face it, they are more interesting than me. If you want to know what's up with me...email or call, but you may be bored to tears!

No comments: